Financing is a requirement for the growth of your business. However, traditional financing may not be the best option for the nature of your business. Luckily, there are different options available to you. Your unique ideas, processes, and technology can be protected in the form of IP. You can then leverage this IP portfolio for debt financing. Through this process, you’re able to scale up and attract more investment opportunities.
Lesley Gouldie of Thornhill Medical joins us in this episode to discuss how her company leveraged IP-backed financing to ensure their growth. We learn why Thornhill Medical chose an alternate commercial lender over a traditional one for their financing strategy. We also find out the process of obtaining IP-backed financing and how we can use this to attract the right investors. Finally, we get some great advice on hiring a CFO or financial advisor and scaling strategically.
Do you want to know how you can use IP for debt financing as a growth strategy for business? Then, tune in to this episode to learn more!
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Find out the difference between debt financing versus equity financing.
- Learn how you can prepare for IP-backed financing as a growth strategy for your business.
- Determine critical steps in the financial planning process when scaling up.
- [05:04] Lesley’s Journey
- [06:35] Why IP Matters to Thornhill Medical
- [08:39] The Basics of Patents
- [09:49] Thornhill Medical’s IP Strategy
- [10:44] Thornhill Medical’s Financing Strategy: Debt Financing with Quantius
- [12:49] IP-Backed Financing as a Growth Strategy for Business
- [14:08] Why They Didn’t Get Financing from a Regular Bank
- [16:56] Debt Financing versus Series A Equity Financing as a Growth Strategy for Business
- [20:18] Making the Company More Attractive to Investors
- [21:02] Preparations Needed for IP-Backed Financing
- [23:51] Financial Planning Process During Company Hypergrowth
- [26:47] The Importance of Having a Financial Background as a CEO
- [27:32] Why Startups Should Consider Working with a CFO
- [29:53] Lesley’s Final Advice on Scaling Strategically
Enjoyed This Podcast?
Write a review and share this with your friends.
Connect With Me
Ready to transform your purpose into an impactful business financial story, profit, and joy? Schedule a chat with me at any time.
- Unlocking Financial Opportunities with IP: How to Patent an Idea – The Journey of Susan Blanchet
- Growing Your Business with IP-Backed Financing – The Journey of Lally Rementilla
- Download the Forecasting Guide so you can create a better and improved financial forecast for your business!
- Thornhill Medical
- Connect with Lesley: LinkedIn