Owning a business isn’t as easy as starting one and calling yourself the owner—you need to structure it to suit the company’s needs. There are lots of models that you can use, each with unique benefits, drawbacks, and advantages. Some companies prefer a cooperative model—it places great significance on camaraderie and information transparency. If your company values employee empowerment, you might want to use the cooperative model.
In today’s episode, Amanda Bybee conducts an in-depth discussion of employee ownership and the cooperative model. From her firsthand experience and extensive knowledge, she shares the benefits and values of adopting employee ownership. Amanda also explores the issues, challenges, and strategies in a cooperative model and how it empowers people.
If you’re curious and want to find out if an employee ownership and cooperative model is right for you, then tune in to the full episode!
- [05:00] Amanda’s Journey
- [07:18] What Made Amanda Join Namaste Solar?
- [09:58] The Power of Open Information Sharing
- [12:31] Shifting to an Employee-Owned Cooperative
- [14:21] Employee Owned vs Worker Cooperative
- [17:55] Finding the Right Investors
- [19:56] The Struggle in the Transition
- [24:03] How Amanda Felt About the Transition
- [26:18] Amanda’s Advice on Transitioning to a Cooperative
- [29:42] The Right Time to Switch to Cooperative
- [31:22] Starting Amicus O&M
- [35:03] What Amicus O&M Does
- [37:14] How Does Amicus O&M Make Money?
- [39:31] Internal Business Processes for Cooperative
- [42:59] Shared Services Cooperative vs. Worker Cooperative
- [47:09] The True Value of Cooperative
- [51:52] Employee Ownership as a Form of Empowerment
- [55:20] You Don’t Have to Be Alone
- Visit Christina Sjahli’s website! Learn more about innovating and scaling your business through the Her CEO Journey podcast series.
- Chat with Christina and set up a time here!
- Download the Forecasting Guide so that you can create a better and improved financial forecast for your business!
- Download this Action Guide to help you understand the value of intellectual property as a vehicle for financial growth.
- Her CEO Journey Episode 140: The Journey of Linda Philips
- The Great Game of Business by Bo Burlingham and Jack Stack
- Equal Exchange
- Connect with Amanda: LinkedIn
Enjoy this Podcast?
Write us a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning into the show, then do not hesitate to leave us a review. You can also share this episode with your network so they will know the importance of sound financial planning.